[gdal-dev] New OGR Driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Aug 21 04:03:25 EDT 2009

Selon Leonardo Piga <leonardo.piga at gmail.com>:

Leonardo,

the general way to proceed and a few recommandations are described here :
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/HowToContribute

I'm just curious : does this effort of creating maps for Brazilian cities relate
somehow with the OpenStreetMap project or is it a completely autonomous effort ?

I've just also noticed that the gpsbabel project handles the GTM format
(http://www.gpsbabel.org/capabilities.html). Did you consider using it instead,
or was the direct integration of the GTM format inside OGR more convenient for
you ?

Just speaking loud : it might be interesting to have a pseudo gpsbabel driver in
OGR. That would offer 'for free' all the formats gpsbabel handles to OGR.
Technically speaking, gpsbabel being an executable and not a library, OGR would
probably need to fork the gpsbabel executable and use the GPX format as an
exchange format between both software. One inconvenience I see when using
gpsbabel is that it has no format autodetection capability. So the syntax could
be for example "ogrinfo GPSBABEL:gtm:my_file.gtm" and this would execute
"gpsbabel -w -r -t -i gtm -f -i gtm -f my_file.gtm -o gpx -F tempfile.gpx". Or
the subformat autodetection capability could be added in the OGR gpsbabel driver
for a few selected formats.

Best regards,
Even