[gdal-dev] New OGR Driver

Leonardo Piga leonardo.piga at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:11:57 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Even
Rouault<even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> Selon Leonardo Piga <leonardo.piga at gmail.com>:
>
> Leonardo,
>
> the general way to proceed and a few recommandations are described here :
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/HowToContribute
Thanks. I'll check.

> I'm just curious : does this effort of creating maps for Brazilian cities relate
> somehow with the OpenStreetMap project or is it a completely autonomous effort ?
No it isn't. Actually, the project effort is to develop maps for
Garmin GPS Devices. I'll really appreciate if they agree to share our
effort on OpenStreetMap and I thing the project should be wider. But
it is not just up to me, other developers must agree.

One flaw of the project is the lack of information in English, so I
can't give you many references.
If you want to know more, you can find details here, but these
references are in Portuguese.

The official website is: www.tracksource.org.br
There is a Wikipedia article: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracksource

> I've just also noticed that the gpsbabel project handles the GTM format
> (http://www.gpsbabel.org/capabilities.html). Did you consider using it instead,
> or was the direct integration of the GTM format inside OGR more convenient for
> you ?
The problem is that gpsbabel doesn't export track colors, neither
waypoint types, so for my needs it is critical. So, I decide to do my
own implementation.

> Just speaking loud : it might be interesting to have a pseudo gpsbabel driver in
> OGR. That would offer 'for free' all the formats gpsbabel handles to OGR.
> Technically speaking, gpsbabel being an executable and not a library, OGR would
> probably need to fork the gpsbabel executable and use the GPX format as an
> exchange format between both software. One inconvenience I see when using
> gpsbabel is that it has no format autodetection capability. So the syntax could
> be for example "ogrinfo GPSBABEL:gtm:my_file.gtm" and this would execute
> "gpsbabel -w -r -t -i gtm -f -i gtm -f my_file.gtm -o gpx -F tempfile.gpx". Or
> the subformat autodetection capability could be added in the OGR gpsbabel driver
> for a few selected formats.
It is an excellent idea. After finishing my GTM driver and wrap
everything up, I can do that.
We come back to this in some days.

Thank you very much.

> Best regards,
> Even
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm implementing a new driver for OGR. The driver is responsible for
>> handling with GPSTrackMaker files <http://www.gpstm.com>. GTM files.
>>
>> This program is extensively used in Brazil on a project called
>> Tracksource. This community makes maps from Brazilian cities and
>> distributes them freely for using on GPS devices. The project is
>> collaborative and the users develop the maps.
>>
>> Each developer is responsible for one or more cities. Some developers
>> receive the maps from their city hall office (this is my case);
>> however, it doesn't give the maps on our preferable format. The
>> developer has to convert it. That's why I'm implement this driver.
>>
>> The driver is reading the gtm a files already. I want to share my
>> effort, so that other people can use my driver.
>> Is it possible to make my driver available with OGR?
>>
>> Thank you
>> --
>> Leonardo de Paula Rosa Piga
>> http://lampiao.lsc.ic.unicamp.br/~piga