[gdal-dev] Does GDAL support ArcInfo Binary Grids with multiple bands?

Peter J Halls P.Halls at york.ac.uk
Fri Aug 28 07:14:54 EDT 2009

Andrew is correct.  The ArcGIS grid stack comprises an index to the component
grids, stackname.stk. The records comprise the grid names.  The grids must be in
the same location (workspace) and have the same projection / coordinate system
but do not need to have the same geographic extents (so long as there is an area
of common overlap) or cell size.  Where the cell size differs, that quoted for
the stack is the coarsest of the components.

It is quite common to use a stack to collect together raster layers representing
disparate criteria in order to analyse them together, using geostats, for
example.  A multi-band stack, such as, for example, might comprise a Landsat TM
image, is a sort of special case.

Peter