[gdal-dev] UTF-8 String Support in GDALOpen() and OGRSFDriverRegistrar::Open()

Lodewijk Pool louis.pool at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:51:57 EDT 2009

Hi Chaitanya,

I appreciate you taking the time to check. The TAB extension is MapInfo's
vector file format. The odd thing is that I did exactly the same test as you
did, I renamed a GeoTiff file to the offending filename and tried the normal
Raster Driver and got the same problem. Still, as far as you aware these
functions should support UTF-8 encoded strings?  There could possibly be a
peculiarity in the way I pack UTF-8 strings, though I am reasonably certain
that they are encoded correctly.

Could you perhaps send me the code snippet you used to test the
functionality (the part where you pass the string to GDALOpen). Do you think
there is a chance that my compiled version may differ from your own, i.e. is
it possible that I compiled a version of GDAL without UTF support?

Best Regards,
Louis.