[gdal-dev] [MITAB] Unsupported case or corrupt file

RICHARD Didier didier.richard at ign.fr
Sat Dec 19 08:24:21 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to read a (big) mapinfo TAB file and I'm facing the following
error (source is the today's trunk) with ogr2ogr as well as ogrinfo :

____
$ ogrinfo -al rall.TAB
Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of `rall.TAB'
      using driver `MapInfo File' successful.

Layer name: rall
Geometry: Unknown (any)
Feature Count: 6138177
Extent: (-5.053907, 41.367176) - (9.559522, 51.075147)
Layer SRS WKT:
GEOGCS["unnamed",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563],
        TOWGS84[0,0,0,-0,-0,-0,0]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]]
ID: Integer (0.0)
ERROR 7: Unsupported case or corrupt file: MULTIPLINE/REGION object
vertices do not appear to be grouped together.
ERROR 3: Failed reading coordinate data at offset 210440
____

With debug on there is no more usefull information.
My objective is to put this dataset into postgresql.

The mapinfo files I'm trying to read are as follows (ls -lh):

____
  135 rall.TAB
 1,2G rall.MAP
  24M rall.ID
  30M rall.DAT
____

In mitab_mapcoordblock.cpp (line 503) when the error occurs I have got the
following values :
i=0 numSections=1
nVextexOffset=-16384003
numVertices=24
numVerticesTotal=24

The negative offset is the cause of the error, but it is declared as an
int. Is this right ?

I have not found any tickets about this kind of error.

Any idea on how to fix this (I could read the TAB file with QGIS 1.3.0 but
not sure if QGIS is using GDAL/OGR for reading files)?

Regards
--
RICHARD Didier - Chef du pôle technique du Géoportail
2/4, avenue Pasteur - 94165 Saint Mandé Cedex