[gdal-dev] Re: gdal 1.6 doesn't recognize his own projection definition (LL -> LAEA)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Feb 6 17:19:20 EST 2009

Frank,

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> Hopefully the missing pieces can be sync'ed over to 1.6-svn.
>
> Markus,
>
> There has been a massive set of changes applied to ESRI morphing and to
> some extent to a variety of drivers in an attempt to better preserve
> coordinate systems through various drivers.  It is being handled via this
> ticket:
>
>  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2752
>
> I'm not prepared to backport to 1.6 as there are several outstanding issues
> related to the changes made.  I'm also a bit uncertain whether it makes
> sense to move such broad changes into the 1.6 branch.
>
> In brief, I'm not sure when or if these changes will go into 1.6 branch.

I see.

A question: are just the metadata incomplete in the file I created
or is also the reprojection incorrect? Say, can I happily assign -a_srs
the correct projection definition or should I moreover reproject
again using trunk?

Thanks
Markus

PS: Some/all CGIAR SRTM Geotiffs have been updated on the server
      some months ago (I downloaded V4 before that) and now they
      contain the projection info.