[gdal-dev] Trying to clean up multiple GDAL installs

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 14:33:50 EST 2009

Ok, I admit it.  I was lured by the promise of what I didn't already have.
I had a perfectly functional gdal install from source on my Ubuntu box.
Then I went and installed Qgis using apt-get, which brought in a gdal
package as well, and started to get errors like the one below.

ogrinfo: symbol lookup error: ogrinfo: undefined symbol:
_ZN10OGRFeature12DumpReadableEP8_IO_FILE

I decided I'd rather have ogrinfo than Qgis, so I removed Qgis using
"apt-get autoremove qgis".  This said that it removed some gdal stuff, but
afterwards I still had the ogrinfo error.  I then went into my
"/usr/local/gdal-1.5.2/" and did a "make clean".  I also deleted all "ogr"
and "gdal" apps that were left in "/usr/local/bin".  I then built gdal from
source again in the "/usr/local/gdal-1.5.2/" dir.  However, when I do a
"ogrinfo --version" it tells me I'm using "GDAL 1.6.0" - and I still have
the ogrinfo error.

I've checked my "gdal-config" file and it says CONFIG_VERSION="1.5.2", which
is correct.  So now I'm kinda scratching my head wondering what to delete
next.

Any hints, please?

Thanks,

Roger