[gdal-dev] Open source GIS cataloging software?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Feb 11 17:22:10 EST 2009

Jonathan,

Provided that you have some basic scripting/coding abilities, GDAL/OGR would
certainly be able to solve your need. Python might be a good choice, as you
can use the GDAL/OGR bindings. Or just use the C API.

For retrieving the boundings boxes:
Key API for raster part : gdal.Open(), Dataset.GetGeoTransform()
Key API for vector part : ogr.Open(), DataSource.GetLayer(), Layer.GetExtent()

OGR can also be used to create the output file.

The tutorials on gdal.org and gdal.org/ogr should be good starting points.