[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.6 Java binding, Windows

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 06:23:32 EST 2009

Hi,
please read below.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:06 AM, trailcode <trailcode at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got gdal java binding to work with win32. I downloaded the jre from:
> http://udig.refractions.net/files/downloads/jre/

Note that these libraries have been built against GDAL 1.4.4.
Where do you have placed the DLLs to let them work during your first test?

> <http://udig.refractions.net/files/downloads/jre/>
>
> And used it to execute my test program. For the java .jar files I am not
> using gdal.jar but the jars which come with: imageio-ext
>
> The thing which is strange is if I copy the gdaljni.dll gdal14.dll and
> other
> .dll files from the jdk downloaded above to my project dir and set my
> java.library.path to point to them I get the same old unsatisfied link
> error. I even tried copying over all .dll files in the JDK tree but got the
> same message.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

On Windows, we have sometime noticed similar issues on DLL native libs
required libraries are together with these DLLs (A check with "Dependency
walker" may be helpful)).
A solution could be putting them on your JDK/bin being sure that the same
libs aren't somewhere on folders linked by your PATH env.  (Be sure you
don't have old GDAL Libs somewhere hidden on your machine)
This could be helpful to do some initial testings. See my next feeddback
about JNLP.

> I would like to create an application distributable via jnlp.

We are working on creating a web start application involving other native
libraries (not GDAL related).
Therefore we will handle native DLLs loading and some feedbacks on this
topic will come in the near future (we are working on it this week).

Cheers,
Daniele

> Thanks,
> Matthew Tang