[gdal-dev] Link GDAL with MinGW

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Thu Feb 26 08:08:04 EST 2009

MinGW gcc generates .dll.a files, which are the link libraries, but it
can also use the plain dll to link against.

However, when you mention gdal16.dll, it sounds like you're trying to
link against a GDAL dll that was generated with VC. The C++ API is very
difficult to use from such dll when you're developing with MinGW if not
impossible. I, for one, have never succeeded. The Swig bindings use some
C++ API, which have so far prevented me from using "an official" binary
gdal dll for the Perl bindings for example.

Ari