[Gdal-dev] gdal_merge: merge/mosaic NITF files

Charles Chung cchung at draper.com
Thu Jan 8 18:31:41 EST 2009

Hi all, I am new using GDAL and raster format. Here is my situation.

With GDAL 1.6.0dev, I want to merge or mosaic many NITF files into one NITF
or GeoTIFF file.

Each NITF file is about 284 KB and its characterists are:

Driver: NITF/National Imagery Transmission Format
Files: ???????.???
Size is 1536, 1536
Pixel Size = (0.000059486040609,-0.000044956841432)
Band 1 Block=256x256 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Palette

If I use "gdal_merge" with one NITF input file and default settings, the
default output is GeoTIFF and the size is 2,316 KB.  That's 8 times bigger
in size even though I used only one input file.  If I output to NITF format,
the size is also 8 times bigger.  If I merge two NITF files the output is
about 16 times bigger.

Why the output file size is so much bigger than the input file?  Is there
settings to make it smaller?
Basically I want the size of merged files to be about the same size as the
sum of input file size.

Thank you.

Charles