[gdal-dev] Unknown file type

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 9 15:21:41 EST 2009

Greg Ederer wrote:
> Note that the pixel/line coordinates in the above are from (0.0,0.0) at
> the top left corner of the top left pixel to
> (width_in_pixels,height_in_pixels) at the bottom right corner of the
> bottom right pixel. The pixel/line location of the center of the top
> left pixel would therefore be (0.5,0.5).
> </end docs>
>
> But, I'm still unsure how to compute the required values.  The docs
> don't give units for GT(1) and GT(5), and for GT(0) and GT(3).  My data
> have a resolution of 0.1 deg lat X 0.1 deg lon, and the upper left
> lat/lon is 40N,20W.  Could you give me some pointers on how to compute
> the transform values?

Greg,

The geotransform coordinate system is whatever is defined by the <SRS>
tag.  So in your case I believe long/lat WGS84.

I imagine your GeoTransform would be:

   -20.05, 0.1, 0.0, 40.05, 0, 0.1

This is assuming that the upper left corner really reflects the center
of the top left pixel in which case a half pixel offset is needed.  I'm
also assuming north up image orientation.