[gdal-dev] improve PDS and Isis drivers

Trent M Hare thare at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 16 12:31:45 EST 2009

Lidiriel,
        All PDS, ISIS2, and ISIS3 drivers should support detached labels
for the simple raw (or ISIS3 tiled) formats (now the PDS reader doesn't
support detached JP2 images yet).  There have been a few fixes in the last
few months for these planetary readers so try to stick with 1.6.x.

The minimal PDS driver was implemented because it was similar to ISIS2
thus it is not very robust. The goal for all these drivers was to mainly
capture the projection information for GIS/RS applications thus it is not
meant for non-projected or raw PDS (EDR) images. There are MANY
non-standard PDS images in the wild (e.g. missing projection parameters,
incorrect offsets for X,Y corners, odd labels), so it can be very hard to
generate a generic PDS reader which checks for all the known issues. One
future goals I had was to utilize an existing PDS library to enhance the
currently used very simple label parser that we wrote and Frank fixed up
for us. There are a few good library examples discussed here:
http://www.orrery.us/node/44 . However, PDS3 has a short life span ahead
of it.  There are talks of a new PDS2010 standard to replace PDS3. This
will probably be available in 2010 or 2011.

Simple fixes for current PDS label that would be great for one, like
yourself, or other to implement.
1.) PDS detached label that points to JP2 image. Currently the PDS reader
only support raw images
2.) Band name propagation (or other metadata? that can be easily mapped
into GDAL).

But any changes or enhancements would be welcome. I really hope the PDS
itself will get behind this driver and help to support its ongoing
development. I think they (PDS at JPL) are using to create browse jpeg
images for the new Mercury images. There are just not many good readers
out there for PDS (Nasaview has it place but is not very useful). And
really hope they will consider GDAL support for the new PDS2010 format -
whatever that will be. Maybe they will even choose to be compatible to an
existing format! I can only hope.

Again, I never meant for this reader to support raw EDR images because
those come in many different styles of compressions (e.g. MOC can have
none, discrete cosine transform or  Walsh-Hadamard transform compression).
It is currently intended for only map-projected raw PDS3 images.

Regards,
Trent

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>
Sent by: gdal-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
01/14/2009 10:55 AM

lidiriel <ludovic.mercier at gmail.com>
cc
gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org
Subject
Re: [gdal-dev] improve PDS and Isis drivers

lidiriel wrote:
> hi,
>
> I work with several pds files and i have many idea for improve
> driver :
>
> Add several domaine (for obtain a classification) with standard
> Metadata like describe in "PDS standars reference" document (chapter5
> v3.7) each domain can contains a minimum number of keys.
>
> domaine name (dn): LABEL_STANDARDS
> keys : PDS_VERSION_ID, DD_VERSION_ID, LABEL_REVISION_NOTE
>
> dn : FILE_CHARACTERISTICS
> keys: RECORD_TYPE, RECORD_BYTES, ...
>
> dn : IDENTIFICATION_DATA_ELEMENTS
> keys: DATA_SET_ID ...
>

> implementation of reading a detached data in first time for ISIS2
> driver :
> ("filename", nnn) (chapter 5 page 13 of PDS specification v3.7)
> Many of my data use this last notation and for using gdal i will must
> implemented this in priority.

Lidiriel,

I am reasonably supportive of adding capture and exposure of metadata
from PDS, ISIS2 and ISIS3 datasets in some appropriate fashion. I'd
be open to appropriate patches though I'm not inclined to do much more
directly as implementation than I have already done, unless my original
client (USGS) demonstrated an interest.

I believe we do have some support for detached datasets.  Perhaps that
is only in ISIS3?  I would be happy to have detached support also added
in ISIS2.

warmerdam at pobox.com