[gdal-dev] OGR error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 19 10:37:15 EST 2009

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:
> I have 60 GB free of hard disc space.
>
> The shapefile I was creating was just over 2 GB when it crashed.
> The total size of the shapefiles I am trying to append is about
> 2.7 GB.

Nick,

Well, I believe the "2GB barrier" is the issue then.  Generally speaking
you should avoid trying to create .shp files larger than 2GB.  Shapefiles are
indexed with 32bit values which can at most address 4GB (well I suppose since
2byte word indexes are used - up to 8GB maximum), but many libraries -
including shapelib - use 32bit signed values for file offsets which cannot
address past 2GB.