[gdal-dev] aux.xml files

Chris Padwick cpadwick at digitalglobe.com
Tue Jan 20 10:59:30 EST 2009

Howdy,

I'm using gdal 1.5.2.  Every time I call GDALRasterBand::GetHistogram()
gdal generates a file with the same name as the image and the extension
.aux.xml.  This file appears to contain a band by band image histogram
along with some other information.  On subsequent calls, using the same
image, gdal appears to be finding the .aux.xml file and reading the
stats from the file rather than computing them from scratch.

I understand the rationale for the behavior but it is causing problems
for me.  How can I disable creation of these files, and/or force
computation of the stats from scratch every time?

Thanks!

Chris