[gdal-dev] JP2ECW driver fails with lossless JPEG2000 images

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Jan 21 03:59:51 EST 2009

Hi,

I have been suspecting that JP2ECW driver does not handle lossless jpeg2000
images correctly and now I am pretty sure that it is true at least with images
compressed with Kakadu.

I made a test by using FWTools 2.2.8 on Windows. I took a 100x100 pixel sized
test image in tif format and compressed in with Kakaku tool 'kdu_compress'

Command:
kdu_compress -i JP2ECW_test_original.tif -o kakadu.jp2 Creversible=yes

Then I decompressed the image with kdu_expand
Command:
kdu_expand -i kakadu.jp2 -o kakadu.tif

Then I converted kakadu.jp2 to tif with gdal_translate that has JP2ECW driver as
default JPEG2000 driver.
Command:
gdal_translate -of gtiff kakadu.jp2 ecw.tif

Tiff image translated with kdu_expand is identical with the original but the one
translated with gdal_translate for sure is not.

I would say that right now nobody should use JP2ECW driver for handling lossless
JPEG2000 images.