[gdal-dev] OGR is not able to determine PostGIS table SRS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 7 18:28:04 EDT 2009

Sorokine, Alexandre wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am trying to determine an SRS for a table in PostGIS database but I am
> getting NULL.  I have a table that in PostGIS that has SRID defined:
>
> usa=# select ST_SRID(the_geom) from census.counties;
>  st_srid
> ---------
>     4326
>     4326

Alexandre,

OGR doesn't look at the SRID of individual geometries, only at the SRID of
the table as registered in the srid column of the geometry_columns table
for that target table.  Perhaps you didn't set the SRID in the geometry_columns
table?  Or perhaps there is a problem looking up the composite name
census.counties?

You might try running ogrinfo with the --debug on commandline switch to see
some details of what is going on internally.