[gdal-dev] running gdal_merge for a lot of files

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 14:38:28 EDT 2009

There are probably several different ways to approach this, the following
are 2 that have worked for me in the past when gdal_merge.py has had
problems.

1) Assuming all of the tiles are in the same projection and resolution, use
gdalwarp to create the mosaic.
or
2) Since you are using version 1.6.1 of gdal, you could try using the
"gdalbuildvrt" utility to create a virtual mosaic.  I suspect it might be
possible to use the VRT as the input source to create overviews.