[gdal-dev] SQL "LEFT JOIN"

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Mon Jul 13 14:39:53 EDT 2009

On Jul 12, 2009, at 4:56 PM, Kris R. DeLaney wrote:

> Re:  GDAL 1.6.0, released 2008/11/26
>
> I have be unable to use OGR2OGR to accomplish an SQL LEFT JOIN of a
> shapefile with the attributes of a master dbf table.  If my syntax is
> not correct, I hope someone can show me where it is wrong.
>
> The files I am using are all in the same directory.  I have tried
> countless variation of syntax, but the two which seem correct, but
> don't work, are:
>
> (1)  ogr2ogr -sql "SELECT test.*, master.DRCLASSDCD FROM test LEFT
> JOIN master.dbf.MUKEY ON test.MUKEY = master.MUKEY" outshpdir test.shp
>
> (2)  ogr2ogr -sql "SELECT test.*, master.DRCLASSDCD FROM test LEFT
> JOIN 'x:/JUNK/JOIN/master.dbf'.MUKEY ON test.MUKEY = master.MUKEY"
> outfiles test.shp
>
> Small test files of actual data being tried are at:
> http://botanicalexplorer.com/gdal/test_files.zip

without knowing any better, I set up the data and tried

ogr2ogr -sql "SELECT test.*, master.DRCLASSDCD FROM test LEFT JOIN
master.MUKEY ON test.MUKEY = master.MUKEY" -f geoJSON out.json
soils.shp

as a simple way of testing.. (geoJSON is an easy human readable format)

I suspect that ogr2ogr isnt bringing in the 2nd data file at all.
though others would know better
I suspect that bringing it into Postgres (or other supperted db) would
change that

   -Brian