[gdal-dev] Reading ArcInfo binary grids with the R rgdal package fails with "GDAL Error 3: Attempt to read past EOF in ..../arc.dir"

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Wed Jul 22 09:19:05 EDT 2009

Markus - thanks for the links to those tickets. Those tickets seem to imply
this is a minor annoyance. Unfortunately, for me, it means I can't read the
grids at all from R. Perhaps if I was using the C interface there would be a
workaround (just ignore the error?) but this is not possible using the R
interface, as far as I can tell. For example, the rgdal GDAL.open API fails
with the same message.

Is the right solution to get the rgdal developers to code a workaround to
ignore the error somehow? Or is it to determine the underlying problem in
GDAL? Or perhaps ESRI is generating grids that violate the AIG format
specification?

Thanks again,
Jason