[gdal-dev] gdalwarp on large files

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Jun 1 14:30:46 EDT 2009

Laura,

From the error message, I guess you are running gdalwarp on a remote server
through a ssh connexion. There's probably a timeout that occurs since your
operation takes hours. You should check the ssh options of the client/server
for that.

In your use case, if you just want to create a mosaic of SRTM files and not
really warp them, you'd better use gdalbuildvrt to create quickly a VRT file
(XML-based) and then translate it to geotiff. This should run much faster
than gdalwarp. But the 432001P x 40801L output size will remain. As it is
huge, it will also likely take some time !

gdalbuildvrt mosaic.vrt *hgt
gdal_translate mosaic.vrt mosaic.tif

If you only use the mosaic with GDAL enabled tools, you can skip the
gdal_translate step. That will save space (17.6 GB!) and time (a few seconds
v.s. several hours).

Best regards,
Even