[gdal-dev] Distributed processing

Matthew Snape SnapeM at rpsgroup.com
Fri Jun 12 08:46:56 EDT 2009

Hi,

We currently do parallel execution of ArGIS geoprocessing tools,
although not yet with GDAL.  We use IPython to execute normal commands
in parallel.  IPython is a shell replacement that has parallel commands
that can be used from the shell or within code.

The biggest difficulty I have found is using resources efficiently.  You
will inevitably hit a bottleneck of either cpu speed, disk bandwidth,
network bandwidth or memory.  It is worth spending some time thinking
about what resources a particular process will consume, and where
bottlenecks are likely to occur.