[gdal-dev] GDAL/ArcObjects based app crashes with newer GDAL versions (was How to delete shapefile)

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Jun 17 15:32:34 EDT 2009

I'm not familiar at all with SDE and Windows subtelties, so my comment might
be unrelevant. But the following statements are at least universally true :
* if your application uses GDAL/OGR C++ API, you must recompile it against
headers of newer GDAL version as C++ ABI changes from 1.x to 1.y (contrary to
C API). Just relinking will not be sufficient.
* for same reason, if you try to load GDAL plugins compiled with an older
version into a different GDAL version, you'll get crashes. Some checks have
been introduced starting with GDAL 1.5.0 into plugin code to detect those
situations and error out properly.
* if your application links directly or indirectly with several copy of GDAL
library at the same time, it will likely not work too