[gdal-dev] Curve support in OGR

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jun 22 10:01:18 EDT 2009

Hi Frank,

Good to hear that you are principally interested in curve support. I can
understand that you are reluctanct to start such an effort before proper
financial backing.

Unfortunately I don't have loads of money to support such an effort, but I
(resp. my employer) would participate in a joint effort to financially
support this project.

It would be useful to have a clue how much work (and related estimated
development hours) would have to be invested. Also a list of major
milestones/packages would be useful.

Frank, do you think that you could write up a proposal/estimate? Others
could join in of course, but you are probably the one with the best
knowledge on the architecture of ogr.

Thanks,
Andreas

On Fri, June 19, 2009 4:44 pm, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> right - we still use an old commercial version of Mapguide. We may move
>> the newer open-source version (or Mapserver) in the future.
>>
>> But this is not my main concern. The main concern is being able to work
>> with curves (mainly circular arcs) across the whole OSGeo tool chain,
>> primarily also in Desktop GIS.
>>
>> Many desktop GIS build on top of OGR (e.g. the one we use: QGIS). They
>> won't bother with curves until their underlying base infrastructure
>> supports curves.
>>
>> I know it is a probably a huge effort to include curve support in OGR
>> and
>> won't happen tomorrow ... However, since more and more data formats and
>> applications now start to support curves, it would make sense that OGR
>> would support them as well, esp. since it is at the technical foundation
>> of so many other tools.
>>
>> I know it should be financially supported by the users, so I wonder if
>> we
>> could start a project like the WKTRaster project in Postgis [1], where
>> the
>> necessary work packages for curve support are laid out, as well as
>> potential programmers and sponsors. People/organizations can assign
>> themselves as sponsors for certain parts of the whole work then.
>>
>> The whole thing of course also concerns GEOS and Postgis.
>
> Andreas,
>
> I would like to upgrade OGR to support curves and generally to support
> a broader geometry model in line with Simple Features 1.1 and possible
> some of the ISO geometry types.  However, this is a substantial effort
> and I believe it would require financial support.  I have not had
> significant client interest in such an upgrade myself, nor have the GDAL
> sponsors spoken strongly on this point.
>
> So, I'm basically at the point of waiting for funded interest in the
> topic to grow.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> warmerdam at pobox.com