[gdal-dev] Distributed processing

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Tue Jun 23 15:14:50 EDT 2009

Hello John,

I developed the Parallel GDAL2Tiles application (info at
http://www.maptiler.com/) and I am using the ParallelPython module for
GDAL automation on a computer cluster - have a look at
http://www.parallelpython.com/.

It runs automatically on SMP and multi-core computers and it is simple
to setup in a cluster mode as well.
Parallel programming for simultaneously running python processes with
this module is quite straight forward. I can just recommend that - it
runs well in several production environments, including Amazon EC2
cluster (I made some patches for that).

I was also testing the light-weight open-source implementation of
Google's MapReduce from Nokia research lab available at
http://discoproject.org/. This is also usable for GDAL processing of
huge datasets.

I would like to present the MapTiler at FOSS4G in Sydney in case I get
a time slot...
BTW You can vote for my presentation at:
http://dev.extranet.lisasoft.com/foss4g/itemrate/list/all/gdal/

Best regards,

Klokan Petr Pridal

http://blog.klokan.cz/