[gdal-dev] Transparency using gdalbuildvrt

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Mar 5 13:54:14 EST 2009

Hi,

no, I don't think you can do it right now. But this would be doable by adding
a new source to the VRT driver, something like VRTMaskSource, that would use
the mask band of the underlying dataset for an alpha channel in the VRT. In
areas without rasters, you'll get 0 (transparent), and in areas with rasters,
you'll get 255 (opaque) or something more complex if the dataset has nodata
values, or an alpha channel. This could be implemented as a new option of the
existing VRTComplexSource too.
And an extra option of the gdalbuildvrt utility would ask the creation of this
extra band.

You could file a track ticket with this enhancement proposal.

Even