[Gdal-dev] HDF5 library

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 6 12:44:43 EST 2009

LFas wrote:
> Hi list,
> I tried to create a dll only for hdf5 gdal files, i.e. 3 files in frmts/hdf5
> which I modified.
> I use MS Visual Studio 2008 and tried to do it with makfile.vc and obviously
> included nmake.opt. Once I defined GDAL_ROOT, HDF5_DIR, SZIP_DIR, HDF5_LIB
> as $(HDF5_DIR)\dll\hdf5dll.lib \  $(SZIP_DIR)\dll\szlibdll.lib , I done
> nmake -f makefile.vc and it tells me the file "sys\types.h" cannot be found.
> In fact it isn't present in hdf5 folder. Where I'm wrong?
> Thanks

Luca,

I see that H5public.h has:

#ifdef H5_HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
#include <sys/types.h>
#endif

I suspect that the settings for macros like H5_HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H in
H5pubconf.h are not appropriate for your compiler (MSVC) which presumably
lacks posix stuff like sys/types.h.  I have attached the H5pubconf.h
file used with the HDF5 development package for OSGeo4W.  It might be
possible for you to use it, but it might be better for you to review
what you are using for HDF5 libraries and include files.

In fact, you could likely fairly easily use the HDF5 packages prepared
for OSGeo4W.

I assume you are working to build an HDF5 plugin for GDAL?