[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr on SDTS/DLG creates wrong geometries

Bill Zissimopoulos gdal-dev at billz.fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 10 22:29:07 EDT 2009

Hello, list:

I am using ogr2ogr to convert SDTS/DLG files to SHP for further
processing. The command I use is as follows:
	wget http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/DLG/100K/S/seattle-w_WA/hydrography/1431327.HY.sdts.tar.gz
	tar xzf 1431327.HY.sdts.tar.gz
	ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -t_srs EPSG:4326 . *CATD.DDF

This downloads the hydrography for the area west of Seattle, extracts
it and runs ogr2ogr to convert to Shapefile format.

Unfortunately some of the produced area geometries appear to be
problematic. For example, the result file PC04.shp contains some weird
"empty" geometries: these seem to be comprised of a big "fill" polygon
and a number of "hole" polygons such that their difference is an empty
geometry. The most obvious such example is the "sea" area behind
Bainbridge island (ENTITY_LAB 0500116).

I have verified that the original SDTS/DLG file renders properly under
software capable of reading such files (e.g. GlobalMapper). Is this a
problem with ogr2ogr or am I misusing/misunderstanding the tools?

Thank you for any help.

Bill