[gdal-dev] Converting USGSDEM into GTOP30 DEM or DTED

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Mar 13 15:18:10 EDT 2009

Yes, this is possible but you need to adhere strictfully to the DTED
specification. A DTED tile covers exactly a 1 degree x 1 degree area and the
corners coordinates must be aligned on integer. As far as I remember, DTED0
has a 30 second x 30 second resolution below latitude 50°, 60'' x 30''
between 50 and 70, 90'' x 30'' between 70 and 75, etc (read the spec).

So you will have to produce several DTED files if your input area is over
several 1° x 1° square. You should use the -prjwin to just select the right
area for each tile, like :
gdal_translate -of DTED input.dem n40e2.dt0 -prjwin 41 2 40 3
gdal_translate -of DTED input.dem n40e3.dt0 -prjwin 41 3 40 4
etc..

With a little of scripting (Python for examle), you could automate that by
reading the extent of the source .

You must be sure that your source input has the same resolution as the
produced DTED, otherwise you'll need to adjust it by specifying the right
destination size with -outsize 1201 1201 (below 50° latitude).

I see in GDAL source tree that there's a (not compiled) utility that seems to
do you want. The main file is frmts/dted/dted_test.c, but it relies on the
other C files of the DTED driver. You would need to fiddle a bit with the
makefiles and the header to compile it (I see that some necessary symbols
might not be exported). It is moderately involved provided that you have some
experience with C.

But if your third-party app supports 16bit GeoTIFF as a possible source for
DEM, it would be easier to translate to GeoTIFF.

Also by reading the documentation of the EHdr driver, I see GDAL can read
GTOPO30 through the EHdr driver. So it could be possible to take the output
of the EHdr driver as a GTOPO30 data (no guarantee ...), but we only output
one kind of EHdr data which is maybe not the layout of GTOPO30. You would
need checking the GTOPO30 spec too.

Even