[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr changes attribute table after projection

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 15 23:53:03 EDT 2009

Wesley Roberts wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have an ESRI shapefile with approximately 20 000 polygons in a geographic
> projection (WGS84). I have used the following command to convert the
> shapefile to a utm34s projection.
>
> ogr2ogr wckznwimsextract_utm34s.shp wckznwimsextract.shp -t_srs EPSG:32734
> -s_srs EPSG:4326
>
> the coordinate transformation works perfectly however the attribute data in
> the new shapefile is incorrect. In fact very little of the original data is
> present, dates in the original data are now null (two different formats
> 2009-01-01 & 23-Mar-2008) with other text and numerical attributes also now
> removed. All columns from the original data are present but none of the
> original data remains.
>
> If anyone could comment on this problem and or suggest a solution I would
> greatly appreciate it.

Wesley,

I think you would need to file a ticket, and make the data available for
us to effectively address this issue.  We have encountered some shapefiles
(well dbf files) with dates formatted in unconventional formats that has
defeated the date parsing in the shapefile driver.  Perhaps you are running
into this.  There has been some progress in GDAL "trunk".

But it is hard to provide meaningful info without seeing the problem
"up close".