[Gdal-dev] Problems with RS2 driver for import to grass

Philippe Vachon philippe at cowpig.ca
Wed Mar 18 16:06:34 EDT 2009

Hi Ben,

I can't recall the exact details of how the GRASS r.in.gdal mechanism
works, but the results you describe are similar to importing calibrated
data into an integer raster. Calibrated SAR data is typically
represented as floats, as many of the values are in [0, 1), if I am not
mistaken. As such, the values when cast to integers will be clamped to 0
or 1 (or -1, in the case of the complex values).

I'm not certain about the GCP issue, since I can import all of the GCPs
in the Altona dataset using a little app I just whipped up. Perhaps it
could be something specific to GRASS that I'm not aware of. Happen to
know what version of GDAL you're using?

Cheers,
Phil