[gdal-dev] Question on image formats vs performance and quality

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Sun Mar 22 11:25:49 EDT 2009

Steve

ECW needs Byte data *per band*, so you could convert 3 Band RGB (every
band in byte) data without problems into ECW.

Performance is another issue. As long as you do not have problems with
disk space I would recommend continuing to use uncompressed Tiff with
overviews. In combination with Mapserver/Gdal the best solution
regarding performance. In our tests most of the time ~ 1.5 to 2 times
faster than ECW, and becoming worse for ECW for more concurrent users.

And I think the current ECW license conditions also have issues for
serving this format.

Other formats like Erdas Imagine are not faster than Tiff and with the
BigTiff library also Tiff files can become > 4GB.

Reagrds,
Armin