[gdal-dev] gdal2tiles strangeness

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Tue Mar 31 16:35:35 EDT 2009

Mano,

If you would like to have both Google Maps and Google Earth
presentation for a global map then you must generate two tile sets,
because Google Maps supports only Mercator tiles (EPSG:900913) and
Google Earth only geodetic (EPSG:4326).

GDAL2Tiles has as a default tile profile 'mercator', it means that it
will warp your input into Spherical Mercator internally.
To create tiles and KML for Google Earth for your EPSG:4326 input data
you should use -p "raster".

>From the "gdal2tiles --help":

-k, --force-kml     Generate KML for Google Earth - default for 'geodetic'
                        profile and 'raster' in EPSG:4326. For a dataset with
                        different projection use with caution!

Detailed description of recommended step by step usage of gdal2tiles
for global maps was posted by Jesse Varner
from CIRES & NOAA/NGDC, who used gdal2tiles for official presentation
of Global magnetic anomaly map EMAG2 (for Google Maps/Earth) at:
http://ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/data/Google_Maps/EMAG2/index.html

His post is here:
http://groups.google.com/group/maptiler/msg/fe105e27a62711e4

Best regards,