[gdal-dev] Tickets 2385 and 2683 (ECW and MrSID plugins)

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Mon May 4 04:41:00 EDT 2009

As I'm not a developer, I might not be understanding the
alternative to patches 2385 and 2683 that is suggested. But as a user
and teacher of students using open source GIS packages, I do understand
the requirements, which IMHO are:

1. A clear way to compile gdal with ecw and mrsid support, and a
clear way of using the generated package for the compilation of
an open source GIS pacakge (I.e., QGIS, gvsig) able to display ecw and
mrsid images.

2. As most users of open source GIS (and certainly all my students)
will never compile anything but install binaries, and these binaries
come (it seems that because of licensing issues) with no ecw and no
mrsid support
for linux distributions,
we do require a way to add this support to the binary distribution of
the GIS package somehow.
I thought that patches 2385 and 2683 were suggesting a way of solving this
problem.

Actually, this support is present for windows binary distributions of QGIS,
provided the user takes the steps described at the end of page
http://sites.google.com/site/eospansite/qsig-for-windows
(mainly thanks to directions provided by Micha Silver) for example. But
the same type of solution does not exist for any binary distribution of QGIS
for Linux.

Having ecw and mrsid support is critical for any GIS package to be
considered
as a practical tool here, because all our official (and free)
orthoimagery is
distributed in those formats. Therefore, at present, only windows versions
of QGIS can be considered a practical GIS tool.

Hope there is some way of solving this problem. Frank, is your suggestion
becoming a new ticket? Any estimate of when this solution could be
implemented?

Closing tickets 2385 and 2683 with WONTFIX and not opening a new one
aiming to solve the problem would be very worrying.

Thank you all for your work on gdal.

Agus
--

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
email: Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster