[gdal-dev] Tickets 2385 and 2683 (ECW and MrSID plugins)

Francesco P. Lovergine frankie at debian.org
Mon May 4 08:12:19 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 11:38:58AM +0200, Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> 2009/5/4 Agustin Lobo <alobolistas at gmail.com>
>

> > Actually, this support is present for windows binary distributions of QGIS,
> > provided the user takes the steps described at the end of page
> > http://sites.google.com/site/eospansite/qsig-for-windows
> > (mainly thanks to directions provided by Micha Silver) for example. But
> > the same type of solution does not exist for any binary distribution of
> > QGIS
> > for Linux.
> >

> Agustin,
>
> I have an impression that this is because the GDAL Windows builds support
> building ECW as a plugin but this is not the case with the linux builds by
> default, isn't it?

Currently - but for some patches a la gdal-grass - building of a plugin
is not supported on linux, and anyway (but this is Debian/Ubuntu specific)
it is not supportable by distributions due to the external SDK licenses. That's the
reason to allow external plugins by separated building units on Linux: that
would avoid user to rebuild the whole beast from scratch...

--
Francesco P. Lovergine