[gdal-dev] Problem with old projection string

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 4 12:39:40 EDT 2009

Derrick Hoffman wrote:
> Yes, you are correct on both.
>
> That transform will work just fine.
>
> The issue is the projection that comes out of the dataset.
>
> The source wkt is retrieved from the raster using:
>
> const char* projection = dataset->GetProjectionRef();
>
> This itself returns "Local_CS[""]"
>
> We have multiple files, a .bmp and two .tif files, which all use a .prj
> and a world file to define the spatial reference.  All are in the same
> area with similar .prj files, and all report "Local_CS[""]" as their
> projection.
>
> If you need more information please let me know.  I can also send you
> the source files used if that will be of any help.

Derrick,

Normally the BMP and GTIFF drivers do not look for .prj files.  Are you
sure this used to work with an earlier GDAL?  Perhaps you folks made
local modifications to search for .prj files?

I think currently the only drivers that look for .prj files are the
shapefile, arcinfo binary grid, and possibly a few other esri format
drivers.