[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.6.1 RC1 Released

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat May 9 05:40:02 EDT 2009

Howard,

The only serious issue I've found is that the Perl bindings don't build. They
fail with the following error message:

"
perl Makefile.PL
Building in GDAL distro tree
GDAL version (1.6.1) and module version (1.6.0) do not match at Makefile.PL
line 50.
"

I've identified that the GDAL version is hard coded to '1.6.0' in
swig/include/perl/gdal_perl.i. Bumping GDAL_VERSION to '1.6.1' in it seems
sufficient to make the build go on, provided that the generated files are
regenerated (namely swig/perl/lib/Geo/GDAL.pm). Likely, another step to add
in our HOWTO-RELEASE process...

I've also noticed that the generated files in SVN for swig/perl are clearly
out of date, but in your snapshot, you have regenerated them, right ?
Probably a missing commit, but not a big deal if we decide to delete them in
SVN finally.

Last point, the NEWS file is usually updated in branches/1.6 before tag
creation, so that it is up-to-date in the .zip/.tar.gz archive.
In a previous version of http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/Release/1.6.1-News, I
had also added the fixes that have gone to 1.5 branch since 1.5.4, and thus
are also included in 1.6.1, but that disappeared when you refreshed it in
last version. I'm not sure what the policy is in that case. So we have 117
bugs closed in 1.6.1 ;-)

Even