[gdal-dev] SWIG bindings motions

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue May 12 11:39:31 EDT 2009

Dear SWIG bindings devs,

I would like to propose the following motions for the upcoming 1.7
GDAL release:

1) All swig bindings will be regenerated as part of the release process.
2) We will move up to SWIG 1.3.39 by for the release generation.

As far as motion 1 is concerned, I would note that some of the
generated code would need to stay in subversion because it is
convenient and useful for things like the buildbot.  If we wanted to
take things to the point of removing all of the generated code from
subversion, I would be supportive of that, but it would take some
infrastructure work.  We wouldn't have to remove the generated code
from subversion as part of either of these motions, but I think we
should remove the requirement of individual swig devs having to worry
about updating bindings around release time (we already have removed
this requirement for perl and .net, btw.  Now we would remove it for
the others).

Howard