[gdal-dev] SWIG bindings motions

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue May 12 17:43:25 EDT 2009

2009/5/12 Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>

> I've also got to the point where FWTools CSharp bindings are no longer
> being built properly and I don't know why or how to fix it.

Frank,

Do you have more specific information about the issue above? I'm not aware
of any problems when building the recent versions.

> If you flush the bindings out of subversion you will lose the involvement
> of some developers.

With regards of SWIG C# we would require to commit 50+ files because of a
single change in an interface file which is quite unmaintainable. The python
bindings might not suffer from this problem though, but having the binaries
in SVN each SWIG maintainers should require to commit the generated stuff of
the affected languages as well, so as to keep the things consistent,
otherwise those involved developers would only test (and report issues) with
some older versions instead of getting the recent fixes when checking out
the bindings.

Is that a big requirement for the devs to install SWIG on a particular
machine?  (I'm not sure about the issues here, the Windows users just
download the swigwin package and use it)  They also have to have many other
stuff (like python, perl, mono, the libraries like geos, xerces etc) for a
successful build. Why having the SWIG library is extraordinary among the
others?

Best regards,

Tamas