[gdal-dev] My introduction as GSoC 09 student

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 19 00:48:13 EDT 2009

Tamas Szekeres wrote:

> 2009/5/14 Jorge Arévalo <jorge.arevalo at gmail.com
> <mailto:jorge.arevalo at gmail.com>>
>
>     Hello everybody,
>
>     I'm one of the students selected for the GSoC 09 - GDAL projects.
>     Specifically, I'm going to work on the PostGIS / WKT Raster driver
>     implementation (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SummerOfCode).
>
>     During last year, I've been working with GDAL and PostGIS, and I
>     fell in love with GIS development :-). The GDAL community helped me
>     a lot, and I think that is time to pay you back, and to modestly
>     contribute to this great open source project.

Jorge,

I think Tamas has covered the points about the wiki userid, etc.  I'm hoping
to work with Tamas as a back-up mentor on your project this summer.

When adding docs on your project please link it (in place of the http link to
the gsoc pages at google) on:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SoCProjects

I'd suggest you skim a few of the previous years pages to get an idea of what
is expected.

I'd like to suggest that you, me and Tamas meet in IRC sometime this week
to discuss more details of your project.  In addition to being subscribed
to gdal-dev and the soc at lists.osgeo.org mailing list you should also subscribe
to the postgis-devel list where most design discussions of the WKTRaster
stuff is happening.

I believe Wolf also would like students to provide a status report every week
or two over the summer on the gdal-dev and soc at lists.osgeo.org mailing list.