[gdal-dev] Status of Spatialite support

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri May 22 06:13:28 EDT 2009

Armin,

There is already some spatialite support in GDAL 1.6 that enables to read
simple SpatiaLite geometries (point, linestring, polygon) without needing to
link against libspatialite.

In GDAL 1.7dev, write support has also been added, as well as creating
SpatiaLite compatible databases.
Yesterday, I've finally added the (optionnal) capability to link against
libspatialite instead of libsqlite3, to benefit from the spatial enabled SQL
functions that it provides (spatial queries + spatial indexing). So
spatialite support should be mostly complete by now.

You should be able to take the ogr/ogrsf_frmts/sqlite directory from trunk in
GDAL 1.6, but if you want to benefit from linking against libspatialite,
you'll also have to patch configure and GDALmakeopt.in. See
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/17083

For the sake of simplicity, if you don't have to deal with sticking to GDAL
1.6 ABI, I'd advise you to grab a snapshot from GDAL 1.7dev.

Best regards,

Even