[gdal-dev] python bindings, no netcdf support

Scott Sinclair scott.sinclair.za at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 07:46:47 EST 2009

>2009/11/9 Hessel Winsemius <h.c.winsemius at gmail.com>:
> Does anyone know how to let the python bindings know that it should work
> with the NetCDF driver as well? I have netcdf4-python installed by the way.

The installation of netcdf4-python doesn't interact with GDAL. You'll
need to build GDAL yourself with NetCDF support. I've never tried this
on Windows, but you can take a look at
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildHints to get started.

I'm also not sure if GDAL supports NetCDF4 directly. It looks like the
NetCDF driver is for NetCDF3. If you're lucky, NetCDF4 files might be
accessible in GDAL using the HDF5 driver...

Cheers,
Scott