[Gdal-dev] gdal_contour crashing

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Wed Nov 11 14:00:16 EST 2009

Hi!

I have sudden problem with gdal_contour after using ist successfully many
times. There seems to be a problem with a certain area. When I tried it
first, gdal_contour quit with an out-of-memory message, exceeding 2GB of
virtual memory. When I reduced the area and called

gdal_merge.py -o M:\srtm\Hillshading_srtm.tif -ul_lr 6.3 45.4 9.2 43.5
M:\srtm\
gdal_contour -i 10 -snodata 32767 -a height M:\srtm\Hillshading_srtm.tif
M:\srtm\Hillshading_shape.shp

it just hung at about 80% completion, no more CPU activity. It worked on a
neighboring area before.

The data was merged from downloaded CGIAR 5x5 data. Hillshading_srtm.tif
looks good in a viewer and in gdal_info and the perrygeo hillshade.exe was
able to produce nice shadings from the same data.

GDAL Version is 160, binaries on Windows XP.

What can I do to track down this problem, except for making the area smaller
and smaller? I have not found a verbose setting on gdal_contour. Any ideas
what could cause this behaviour?

thanks

          Nop