[gdal-dev] Re: Problems with large raster sizes (WMS/TMS)

Seth Price seth at pricepages.org
Fri Nov 13 15:21:44 EST 2009

Jumping in here, and I may be misunderstanding, but I don't see how we
would have greater than 2 gigapixel images in the foreseeable future.
Doing the math: if we represent the entire earth as a single image, each
pixel would be 2 cm at the equator, and the whole image would be 6291456
TB in size (24-bit image).

I'm not even sure if it's physically possible to image the globe at better
than 2 cm.
~Seth