[gdal-dev] Fastest vector format for combining shapefiles

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Oct 7 18:46:08 EDT 2009

> I am combining some GIS data where each layer is divided to around thousand
> separare shapefiles by mapsheets.
We are in the same boat. For the moment I'm exploring the approach of
aggregrating map sheets, creating super tiles, until we approach the 2gb
shapefile limit. I've not found a good method for predicting when we'll
hit that limit though so it's error prone with a lot of repeats.

Looking forward, the as-yet unreleased file geodatabase API/spec would
be a solution. ESRI has said they will do so, but it's been several
years since they first announced it and when it is finally is released
there is no guarantee it will be under license terms open source
projects can use. This isn't to say it will be unusable either, we just
don't know.

I've been reading about Binary XML, which has an open source library
published by Cuberwerx, http://www.cubewerx.com/bxml. They say it is a
drop in replacement for XML. Perhaps binary gml would be a good format
for >2gb data packages? How much work would it be to add this to
gdal/ogr? I invite developers to submit price estimates to me. I don't
have an active project assigned to this or a budget, but I can't get one
without an idea of what to ask for either.

best regards,

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology