[gdal-dev] Fastest vector format for combining shapefiles

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Oct 14 16:10:35 EDT 2009

Simon, it's clear you have a great deal of experience in this area. If
it were up to you to chart out a course for an open source spatial
vector format that trancends the current limitations of shape, gml, etc.
what would you advise? Perhaps all that is missing is an architectural
plan.
> The only reason I ever hear for physical file formats is "we need to do this for performance reasons

Personally I like physical files because they accessible and portable. I
don't have to install, configure and run an application just to get to
the point of reading it. Neither do I have to export to an intermediate
state to transfer to another machine or medium and then import on the
other end. Maybe this is more properly a limitation of the readily
available tools than the storage format though.

best regards,

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology