[gdal-dev] Fastest vector format for combining shapefiles

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Oct 16 14:26:31 EDT 2009

> Before ever I would advise anything I would want to see the open
> source GIS community clearly define that it is that it wants in a
> new physical file format.

In my experience the open source community rarely, if ever, defines a
thing before creating it. What usually happens is that somebody (whether
an individual or small group) builds somethings that works, or almost
works, and to the extent it responds to business or functional needs a
community coalesces around it. The define first approach seems to
inevitably tend towards "standards wanking" as someone in the thread you
posted said. And thanks for the pouinter. It made interesting reading
and likely largely covers the ground this thread might, should it continue.

best regards,

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology