[gdal-dev] how to test the creation and deletion capability
even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Oct 17 03:52:03 EDT 2009
Selon atubar <atubar at 126.com>:
> Thanks for your guide, and I will read all api doc more carefully.
> And I wonder that is there a list of metadata domain now konwn such as
> subdataset ?
No, to the best of my knowledge, there is no reference list of all metadata
domains that exist. Neither there is a way of listing which ones are "active"
for a given open dataset. The commonly used technique is just to try to get
metadata from a list of interest domains and see if there is actually metadata
They are some general purpose metadata domains shared by several GDAL drivers,
but a few are also very driver specific.
Metadata domains shared by at least 2 different drivers :
* "" : default metadata domain. Used by most drivers
* "IMAGE_STRUCTURE" : Used by many drivers
* "SUBDATASETS" : Used by ADRG, GTiff, HDF4, NITF, RPFTOC, OGDI, Rasterlite and
* "GEOLOCATION" : Used by L1B and HDF4 drivers. See
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc4_geolocate for details
* "RPC" : Used by GTiff, NITF, ENVI, TIL and VRT drivers. See
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc22_rpc for details
* "IMD" : Used by GTiff, TIL and VRT.
A quick and non exhaustive search in GDAL source shows that a few other metadata
domains are used by specific drivers :
* "ORACLE" : Used by GeoRaster driver
* "CAMERA_MODEL", "XFORMS" and "HFA" : Used by HFA driver
* "CGM", "TEXT" and "TRE" : Used by NITF driver. See
* "PCISYS" : Used by PCIDSK driver. Seems to be only used for internal purpose
at band level.
More information about the gdal-dev