[gdal-dev] Fastest vector format for combining shapefiles

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sun Oct 18 23:42:36 EDT 2009

Simon Greener wrote:
> What else is there to do for its adoption as the new shapefile for the
> open source community?

I heard someone say once that a specification isn't a standard unless
there is more than one implementation (preferably more). Is there any
other way to read or write a spatialite file than sqlite itself?

It's also not a standard without a specification -- is there one (other
than the source code, which, of course is the only truly accurate
specification).

Also -- do ESRI tools read or write it? Like it or not, they are the
elephant in the room. My ESRI-using colleagues want to distribute data
in the ESRI geodatabase format -- I don't like that, as I don't use ESRI
tools, but I can't suggest an alternative that won't work for them.

Sigh.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov