[gdal-dev] What can OGR do with SpatiaLite files at this moment and in the near future?

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Sat Oct 24 15:30:48 EDT 2009

Hi all,

On the R-Sig-Geo list there is a thread going on related to using
SpatiaLite as a file based store of vector geodata. The first issue that
comes up is what can OGR do with SpatiaLite files both now, and in the
near future? My understanding (which may well be wrong) is that there is
a SQLite read-only driver in GDAL/OGR 1.6.X versions. My first specific
question, assuming my understanding is correct, is whether OGR can read
the geometry field in a SpatiaLite file? My second question is whether
there are any current plans to extend the SQLite driver to enable it to
write SpatiaLite files? My final question is more on the FWTools front,
and that is whether the current Windows version of FWTools has a build
of the GDAL/OGR library that has both the SQLite and PostGIS drivers
included?

Dan

--
Dan Putler